Sand is a granular material primarily composed of small particles of rock, mineral, and organic materials. It is one of the most common naturally occurring materials on Earth and can be found in various environments such as beaches, deserts, riverbeds, and ocean floors.
EROSION & WEATHERING
- Sand plays a role in natural processes such as erosion and weathering. It can be transported by wind or water, shaping landscapes and forming features like sand dunes and beaches.
VARIETIES OF SAND
- There are various types of sand, classified based on factors such as grain size, color, and composition. Some examples include beach sand, desert sand, river sand, and volcanic sand.
- Sand is a key component in concrete, mortar, and plaster used for building structures.
- It is used for creating sandboxes, pathways, and leveling uneven surfaces in gardens and yards.
- Sand is a primary ingredient in the production of glass.
- Sand is used in water filtration systems to remove impurities and sediment.
SPORTS & RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Sand is used for beach volleyball courts, sandboxes, and as a substrate in aquariums.
- Sand is utilized in abrasive blasting, foundry casting, and manufacturing processes.