Is your website domain name being held hostage by unscrupulous web service providers without your knowledge?
In today's digital age, owning your own website has become an important component of business competitiveness. However, there are some unscrupulous website service providers who may engage in dishonest practices by registering their customers' website domain names under their own name, thereby controlling the customers' websites. This behavior is commonly referred to as "domain hijacking". It is crucial to hold your own website domain name in order to avoid such situations.
The importance of holding your own website domain name
- Independence and stability of the website: When you own your own website domain name, your website will be independent of the control of website service providers. This means that you can easily change your website service provider or host without worrying about the transfer of the domain name. Additionally, holding your own website domain name can increase the stability and reliability of your website, as you can better control its operation.
- Brand building: Holding your own website domain name helps build your brand and increases the visibility of your business or personal brand. By choosing a domain name related to your business or product, you can make your website more memorable and integrate it with your brand building and marketing strategies.
- Protecting your business: If your website domain name is registered under someone else's name, it may put your business at risk. It is possible that your competitors may buy your domain name and use it for their marketing strategies, or even for malicious activities to deceive users. By holding your own domain name, you can prevent this from happening and better protect your business.
How to check who currently holds the domain name
To ensure that you own your own website domain name, you need to know who the current holder of the domain name is. Here are some methods to check the information of the domain name holder:
- WHOIS search: WHOIS is an online database that records detailed information of every registered domain name, including the name, email, phone number, and address of the domain name holder. You can use WHOIS search tools to find the information of the domain name holder.
.com search: https://www.whois.com/
.my/.com.my search: https://mynic.my/whois/#
- Domain name registrar: A domain name registrar is an agency that provides domain name registration and management services. If your domain name was purchased through a registrar, you can contact them to obtain information about the domain name holder.
- Website service provider: If your website is hosted by a website service provider, you can contact them to obtain information about the domain name holder. However, if your website service provider has registered your domain name under their own name, you may need to take other measures to obtain information about the domain name holder.
- Other online tools: In addition to WHOIS search, there are many other online tools available to search for the information of the domain name holder. For example, you can use Google to search for the domain name and related information. You can also use specialized domain name search tools.
In conclusion, holding your own website domain name is very important, as it can help protect your business and make your website more independent and stable. To ensure that you own your own domain name, you need to regularly check the information of the current domain name holder and avoid registering the domain name under untrustworthy website service providers.
Honest website service providers
Using the website service of NEWPAGES ONESYNC ensures that your website domain name belongs 100% to you. We are also an official authorized dealer of MYNIC, and all website domain names registered on our platform come with a "birth certificate" (domain name holder file).
Check your domain name holder early to prevent "domain hijacking". If you need our help to check, please contact us.
27 Mar 2023